Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fremont on Parade

Today I went to the Fremont Summer Solistice parade and street fair with some friends. I had never been to this (in)famous event. I knew it would be crazy. I knew that there would be hippies everywhere, naked painted people on bikes, colorful costumes and probably a couple of political demonstrations. Nearly 7 years in quasi-liberal Bellingham did not prepare me for this. In the above picture, someone dressed as Dick Cheney is drinking a carton of motor oil while riding on a papier-mache tank covered in balloons. Of course the scene would not be complete without Papa Smurf on a bike riding alongside.

Additionally, I should have taken a picture of the 10 foot long marijuana joint painted like an American flag, complete with sign saying, "Weed, not War". In my state of shock/amusement/"what the..", my camera was long forgotten.

Sometimes when I observe these neo-political statements designed to offend, I think about Chehalis, my conservative little hometown and wonder what the rednecks and churchy grannies would think about THIS.

As shocked and fairly overwhelmed by such a display as I was, I find myself grateful for freedom of expression. It was a crazy, colorful and chaotic spectacle for sure, but it is always interesting and refreshing when beliefs, cultures, statements, and causes collide in one place, even on one little street.

For most of the humid afternoon, our little group of normally chatty friends was rendered speechless. Surely nothing on cable can compare to people-watching on the first day of Summer in Fremont. Eventually we peeled away from the crowd and sat on a curb, eating our Vietnamese chicken skewers, fighting exhaustion, and watching bleary-eyed as the crowd went by.

Our new friend Cody took this picture of Sarah, Natanya and I, which I felt was blog-worthy.


A fun, enlightening day for sure.
Now I am off to nap.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yes I made the blog!
My life is now complete :)