Sunday, July 13, 2008

Say What You Will...

... about John Mayer and his "illustrious" personal life. And say what you will about covering classic songs.


But he has released a PHEnomenal cover of Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'", which he performed live for his "Live From Los Angeles" album. Yes, that's a capital P-H-E.

It's an accoustically personal, deeply soulful and just, simply beautiful version of the song. You should just buy the whole album for it (plenty of other greats on there as well) or get it on i-Tunes. It's the best 99 cents (or buck seven, but who's really counting) I've spent in a long time. Please release all perfectly valid judgments of said performer and check it out. And let me know what you think!! I was pleasantly surprised, but I am um.... a um.... fan of... John Mayer to begin with. His music. Not his love life. Once, in college, I was at a bar where Mayer was performing. After the show, I snatched up the empty water bottle Mayer had used during the concert as a souvenir. The guy who was cleaning up, gave me a funny look (rightly so) and said, "You know, his syphilis is all over that thing." Gross. But whatever. A great musician with another great song.

Currently in Chicago, enjoying last nite in my favorite non-Seattle city (for now, anyway). A fantastic time, more juice on that later. I'll tell you this much... Juli and I got into a bit of trouble with a bouncer, we had high tea at the American Girls flagship store (yes we are two grown girls of 26), and I love flaming cheese... OPA!!! (Shoutout Greektown)

Much love!

No comments: