Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Lovely Point

Sunday mornings I get up and make coffee. I open the shades to rain or sun, thankful for either, thankful for both. I sit and sip and feel contemplative, quietly considering spiritual matters. I know I'm not alone in this, on this day- Sunday is churchy day. That said, I seek not preaching and pews, but what the lyrics of beautiful hymns and sensationalist scriptures can mean, CAN DO, for world, for nature, for life.

Much of society argues that Christians are crazy. Quite often, I agree. The (tel)evangelists, the scandals, the cheesy bookstores and bumperstickers. The arrogance and self-righteousness. I admittedly cringe to be associated, to be "lumped in" with this group because I feel as though my heart cannot participate (and winces) at this label... though we know, we worship, we seek to understand the same God.

That said, all of this distracts from the core, the essense, the truth of who/what God is, and beautifu, original intentions.... for peace, for beauty, for unity, for love that transcends, for perfect and lovely nature, for good, for truth. I see/experience God most in nature.... nearly a year ago, I ventured into and out of the Grand Canyon with three friends. The trip was exciting, it was tremendous, it will be the story I tell my children.. "when I was 26 and single, I put on a backpack and went into the canyon and slept next to the river".... A component of all of it was seeing the sunsets, wandering through this wonder of the world... and just feeling, just knowing, that the wind which passed through it was the very breath of God. Tiny flowers had been planted and protected to thrive in bone dry rock, the Colorado snaked through to give water and life, to quench thirst, and the laughter and conversation of friends, families and adventurers would echo for hours and hours. I could not help but think, this is the stuff of good, this is the stuff of nature, this is the stuff of God.

Words of a very wise man which sum this thought up beautifully:


Thanks be to you for the miracle of life

That happens as seed meets soil

Be our constant reminder that we are both: seed and soil giver and receiver.

So enable us to sow faithfully that Your blessings is spilled through us

Into the soil of this beautiful and broken world.

1 comment:

kristi said...

beautiful julie. beautiful.
and, i love the photo.