Saturday, August 8, 2009

Catching Up! And Moving Forward.

Greetings my lovely blog followers! Yes, Grampa and the Bend family, this includes you!

Oh, August. The last few months have been a great, hot blur. Ever feel like you rush and rush around, doing this and doing that and have nothing really to show for it? Well. That's how my last few months have been. Not a bad thing! Just a busy thing. I always start a summer with ALL KINDS OF PLANS for fun things.... hikes, camping, berry picking, bbqs, backyard parties, beach, sun, road trips, lemonade stands, etc, etc, etc. Done some of those things, have not done others, but when all is said and done, summer 2009 has been savored, sun-kissed and enjoyed.

Such to say, I am:

Moving.
Not far away! Up the road to the Beach House!! I am thrilled. Big house, beach view, spacious kitchen, a yard for a garden, big deck for relaxin with wine after a loooong day, and just much more. What else? Oh yeah! Little Juli Robinson will be my roommate! BFFs for nearly a decade and we finally get to be roomies! What a treat. Also looking for a 3rd roomie, so if you ARE or know some nice, fun girl who would like to live in a house in West Seattle, on Beach Drive for $500/mo, give a shout.

Making Plans. Job-wise, That Is.
I've been with UW Advancement for two years now and currently in a job I love.... but I've been challenged to dig deep, determine dreams and strenths and (GASP), put together a PLAN (a real four-letter word for 20-somethings the world over). Which I've done! I'm REALLY excited about it and what just might be down this road and around the corner. After years of semi-shirking responsibility and commitment to a more defined career, it feels SO good to pursue just what I'm pursuing. Can I be more vague? Probably not. But more to come. :)

Involved in The Wokovu Project.
My great friend Karen Gray recently went to Tanzania to volunteer as a teacher at a girls school. She returned stateside with stories and pictures and passion to provide for young women in need. In a very loving and practical way. The Wokovu Project is her grassroots effort to support Kilimanjaro Young Girls in Need (KYGN). KYGN is a local non-profit based in Moshi, Tanzania providing education, vocation training, support services and ultimately, hope to at-risk girls in the villages surrounding Mt. Kilimanjaro. The girls who attend KYGN are young women who have experienced significant hardships in their lives (abandoned, extreme poverty, orphaned, no money for school, absuse etc.) and are at KYGN for a second chance. "Wokovu" is Swahili (the language predominately spoken in Tanzania) meaning rescue, redemption and/or liberation. To learn more: http://thewokovuproject.wordpress.com/about/

Burned Out.
I can't remember the last time I took a REAL vacation, you know... the kind where you pack bags and go away and rest, relax, sleep when you want, eat what you want kind of vacation. Work has been so busy and the life gets in the way and oh yeah, as you're ready to book your flight to Mazatlan, Swine Flu hits. Anyhow, weeks from now, I'll pack those bags, board that plane and head for the beautiful and exotic, faraway location of..... Duluth, Minnesota. Followed by a few days in Wisconsin. Will I lay on beaches? No. Will I laze about and play and eat and drink and hike and shop?? Well yes. You see, Hill Girls Reunion 2009 is fastly approaching and I gotta say; I'd rather kick it for a week with 16 Hill women than sit on any beach I can think of.

Finally Seeing James Taylor in Concert.
With my parents. At the Puyallup Fair. Dream come true. Enough said.

Missing Triple Digit Temps.
I love a hot hot hot day. Seattle hit 100 for like 3 days and all I heard was crying, whimpering and the sound of mad scramble to Bartells for box fans. People!! Heat, sunshine, warmth, summer is a luxury here in Seattle. 100 degrees is to be enjoyed and appreciated because it comes and sets records and then goes in an instant. Why is it August 8th and I'm wearing two hoodies and jeans?? Because that's normal. Real heat is not. Bring on the roasty toasty!

Making Jam, Growing Flowers, and Reading Seattle Mag.
I've somehow become my mother. Which is something I'm proud to say. :)

Twenty Seven.
I'm young but I'm old. I'm feeling more contented than ever and find that in my "old age", I'm far more concerned with making things happen than what people think of me. FINALLY. Sigh. Don't get me wrong. I want to make friends and keep them. I want to be liked, but approval and opinion don't weigh as heavily as they once did. I feel more comfortable in my own skin, and more relaxed, which ironically, energizes me to run forward, to say things that need to be said, make decisions which must be made, and to live boldly and honestly.

Certain that THIS is the year the Mariners will not choke at crucial moment. Certain also that the Sounders WILL.

Done With This Blog Entry.
Happy August, every single one of you. (Grampa, thanks for tuning in. Love you!)

No comments: